Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Traveling with Medical Conditions

 Knowing how to travel with an invisible illness can be a difficult task, but not impossible. Some people can not take a trip due to other conditions along with muscle pain. I, for one, like to travel and will not let a chronic condition keep me from my joys in life. The content below is to help others figure out how to travel.

The tips are not just for those with chronic pain and related syndromes. People that experience asthma, irritating skin problems and fatigue should consider the information below.

Start Small

Begin with short journeys to figure out where to go from there. A small trip can be anywhere from an hour to three hours depending on your tolerance and risk level. Make multiple trips for a small distance before adding to lengthy travels.

Know Your Body

Be aware of what your body can do and the conditions work best with it. For me, I know that cold weather is my foe and I prepare for it. I maintain several levels of clothing to keep me warm. If walking is hard for you, then avoid trips that require a lot of foot action. A good alternative may be to use a cab, but know that will make the trip more costly.

Time Out

Designate a resting time while taking trips. This may be mean going to one attraction and taking a rest period before going to the next. The most important element here is to have your body relax and not bring on a flare. Not all people need sleep, some do well with just sitting for twenty minutes or so. Do what works best for you.

Be Prepared

Do not leave home without your standby relief aids. This means over the counter and/or prescription pain medications. I, often use a relaxer to help my muscles not get tight. Depending on your symptoms, other products may include: heating pad, ice pack, pain patches, foot warmers, etc.

Good Luck! Contact your doctor’s office for information specific to you. Optimism and knowing your body are the preparation for travel. I am not a health professional and my advice should not be regarded as such.

                                                        

     

No comments:

Post a Comment